Prep Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
You too can eat BBQ! Spice up your next summer party by offering something new... BBQ Tofu! This recipe is perfect since it can be cooked year-round. Enjoy!
- (1) 16 ounce package extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
1. Drain tofu, and slice into strips. Place in a plastic bag or container, and freeze overnight. (This will give the tofu a meatier texture). Thaw tofu strips, and blot with paper towels to dry.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and 1 tablespoon of barbeque sauce. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Dip the tofu slices into the egg mixture, then into the flour mixture, shaking off excess flour. Fry in the hot oil for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and cool.
3. Preheat the oven's broiler. Brush tofu slices with additional barbeque sauce, and allow slices to marinate while the broiler heats up. For best results, arrange tofu slices on a broiler pan, or wire rack set over a cookie sheet.
4. Position the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Broil for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp, watching closely so as not to burn them. Serve warm with the remaining barbeque sauce for dipping.