Yields: 8-10 huge bowls
A flavorful veggie and garbanzo stew, best served over rice or couscous. It is also nice to serve with a sot bread, to sop up the sauce.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into ~¼
- 1 onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbs fresh ginger, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk
- 1 can vegetable stock
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup toasted almond slivers
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add spices and brown for ~2 min.
- Add sweet potato and a teaspoon of salt, sauté ~7 min.
- Add carrots and onions, sauté an other ~5 minutes.
- Add ginger and bell pepper, sauté until all the veggies are almost soft.
- Add veg stock, coconut milk, garbanzos, and raisins, bring to simmer.
- Taste test the broth, add additional chili powder or chili flakes, cumin, and salt to taste.
- Cook until thickened to your preferred consistency.
- Serve over rice or couscous, with a sprinkle of toasted almond slivers.